Maureen E. Nolan Scholarship Essays Contest Rules
1. The contest is open to New Jersey Catholic High School Students who will graduate in 2023.
2. All entries must be Mailed to Maureen E. Nolan Foundation – 170 New Providence Road, Mountainside, NJ 07092. No emails will be excepted.
3. All entries must be posted marked no later than April 15, 2023
4. The Topic: How Has My Catholic High School Education Influenced My Life and how will it make a difference in My Future.
5. Each entry must contain between 750 and 1,000 words. (Not including heading information).
6. The heading at the top of the first page must include:
Name of the student
Name of the school
Name of the Guidance Counselor
7. Essays must be the original work of the student.
8. Essays will be judged by members of the Maureen E. Nolan Foundation Scholarship Committee which includes teachers, administrators, and New Jersey business leaders.
9. Judging will utilize the following Essay Scoring Rubric in the following areas:
Content: Demonstrates clear understanding; deals with subject in strong and convincing manner.
Originality: Demonstrates creativity or originality; strongly shows writer’s attitude or point of view in a meaningful and original way.
Writing Style: Well-organized and focused; begins and ends effectively; strong development; writing style and structure reinforce tone and content; no grammatical errors; use of appropriate vocabulary and tone.
10. The awards are as follows:
1st Prize $3,500 – Runner Up $2,500
11. Winners will be notified via email by April 25.
12. All essays become the property of the Maureen E. Nolan Foundation. All participants agree that the Foundation has the right to use the entries for publicity and promotional purposes.
13. Entrants must include contact information including a phone number and home address along with a one sheet of activities the student participated in while in High School. Transcripts are not necessary.
14. Scholarships will be awarded by Joe Nolan at a reception in Mountainside in May.